Tuesday, September 9, 2008

[happy eating]

When Tyler and I moved into our house one of the first things I wanted to do as a grown-up couple was receive my produce from an organic local farm. I'd always wanted to do this but it seemed silly until I was cooking for other people on a regular basis. It helps even more now that Martha is living with us as well. I looked into farm shares but many of them required me to drive to select locations on a regular basis. Me not driving, Auburn's few bus routes, and Tyler's dislike for driving or scheduled plans made me think that I wouldn't be able to have the local veggies I wanted. Then I realized that some farms delivered boxes to you! The selection of delivering farms is less living between king and pierce county but there are luckily a few. Thanks to this website I was able to research which farms would be best for us.

We buy a lot of veggies- the three of us eat essentially vegan (martha and Tyler love their cheese and I always bake with butter) and I have grown so tired of waxy, questionable, grocery store produce. In Edmond's we were able to frequent a produce stand just down the street but the nearest location to me now is far into Kent and has more plants than produce. Lately I have been the worst at procrastination (changing my last name, mailing thank-you notes that have been ready for the mailbox since November, finding a better job, etc) and have just finally now signed up for produce delivery. I know a lot of it had to do with me working somewhere steady and feeling okay about spending a little extra on quality produce. It's been as easy as going to a website and signing up. easy-peasy, lemon-sqeezey.

My box comes next week and contains the following:

3 Pink Lady Apples
1/3 lb. Salad Mix
1 bunch Carrots
1 1/2 lb. French Fingerling Potatoes
1 Head Garlic
4 Clementines
1/2 lb Green Beans
6 Fair Trade Bananas
1 Bunch Spinach
1 lb Broccoli
1 Delicata Squash
2 Roma Tomatoes
1 Red Onion
4 0z Crimini Mushrooms

and even more exciting
"Each box contains farm updates and helpful recipe ideas. Other items that might be included are: Rio Star Grapefruit, Endive, Swiss Chard, Cauliflower, Baby beets, Celery, Lemons, Basil, Bok Choy, Leeks, Garnet Yams, Dried Mangoes, Parsnips, Celery Root, Red Bartlett Pears and much more."
I might get some surprises!

3 comments:

Tiptoe said...

I think local CSAs are becoming more popular. I tried to get on the list for one around here, but I was too late and will have to wait until the next season.

It sounds like your box next week will be great--a nice mix of fruits and veggies. I hope you enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

That's a neat idea.
I'm fortunate in that I live in the city's produce warehouse district and there are farmer's markets every weekend.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I also gleefully consume all formerly living creatures.